Thursday, July 02, 2009

the pregnant pause

I cannot stand reality TV.
O sure... I thought Survivor was nifty -- when it began ten years ago.

But now reality TV makes me want to toss the big backlit box out into the driveway.
Yes, I could just turn it off and walk away - but I am weak and clearly addicted.

You see we have this routine, and I am all about routine.

Each evening my cuddly wife and I retire to our suite to ready ourselves for rest. This inevitably happens 10 minutes or so before the hour. During this time I switch on the TV in preparation to begin some carefully selected show that will be used for the sole purpose of setting the sleepy-timer to.
For the 10 minutes or so before our show on the Great Pyramids, or Mega Movers (a weese fave) or perhaps Animal Cops comes on, there are the final moments in a myriad of REALity TV shows.

It seems to me - granted I don't actually watch the shows -- that every single one of them ends with this cliche, irritating pause before they 'reveal' the big outcome to the nervous contestant.

You know this pause. Maybe once a long time ago - it felt new and clever and left you on the edge of your seat. But seriously, how many times can a pause like this be effective, certainly its no longer gripping.

The host will lead with some ubiquitous unfinished sentence... some examples are (but not limited to):
"The audience voted and ..."
"The amount is..."
"The winner is..."
The camera then pans to the nervously awaiting contestant... and there
we

P
A
U
S
E

And so as quickly as I can I grasp for the remote, fumbling with the buttons only to switch to another channel with another host doing the same stupid pause with a different, yet frighteningly identical set of moronic contestants.

Why oh why do I not toss the thing out the window.

5 comments:

e said...

Oh yes. The idiocy of the box. Gah!

T is an addict, I'm sorry to say, and likes to fall asleep to the tv as background noise. BUT, she has a timer thingy on her clock radio, so when I get my way we fall asleep listening to music instead. So much more restful! And, our favorite bedtime station is KINK in Portland which, between the hours of 10 and midnight plays something they call Lights Out -- quiet, dreamy, boring, electronica or acoustic guitar stuff. Nice!

Someday I will kill the television...

alter rigo said...

all i can say is

"burn notice"

usa, thursdays at 8 or 9 or thereabouts

brilliant

KMae said...

I LOVE TV.
I even love the reality shows.
Well, not ALL of them - I AM selective you know.

Doris hates them esp Housewives of NJ.
I LOVE Housewives of NJ, and NY, and Atlanta. It's all halarious to me.

And I NEED to fall asleep to the TV... I have tininitus & it drowns out the high-pitched crickets.

I also LOVE House Hunters.
And Rev Run. ANTM. So many more.

I think I would die without TV.

Trish said...

we don't do reality tv either. too much hype, too little content.

I have a few dramas and comedies I'll watch on regular rtv, but the rest is Nat Geo, LOGO, Current or one of the Discovery channels. Well, that and HGTV or DIY to see tools...but that's educational too!

and while his passing is sad, I am SO glad I'll likely never have to wake up at 3am with that screamer yelling at me to buy OxyClean or some other whiz-bang product if we've forgotten to set the timer on the TV!

Anonymous said...

I like the contest shows with singing and dancing, but the housewives and bachelor shows do nothing for me.

We often fall asleep to the TV, but it's with shows we've recorded on the DVR.