Monday, April 14, 2008

detox

I was visibly nervous, my eyes doing that darting around thing.
My hands trembled as I cut open the bag with my recently sharpened Swiss Army knife.
The smell hit me immediately, and I recoiled. Taking the cue I put on vinyl gloves before I carefully poured the product into the hopper.
The application was easy enough, but I was really only concerned with the result. I had to keep reminding myself that I was doing something good. Repeating the mantra in my head – its vanity, its just your ego.

In the end, it felt good.
Now it’s just a waiting game. Will it still feel good when it all goes to hell? Will I be able to stand tall and proud of my contribution… without excuses, without gloating.

Time will tell.



...and yes, I know exactly what Milorganite is.

4 comments:

Meaner Dog said...

That's pretty funny! My yard has already had two rounds of weed and feed this spring. It's really looking good. BTW...I had a faithful Swiss Army knife, but lost it somewhere. I loved that thing.

Suzanne said...

You're so cute outside your comfort zone.

eb said...

No gloating.

Anonymous said...

I grew up just outside of milwaukee (where the poop comes from). we used to find it odd that people were putting our poop on their grass, but we'd get arrested if we just walked up and dropped a pile directly!