Sunday, April 06, 2008

ok... now I'm pissed

seething even...

first - the background.

Ferris called us in the middle of the night a couple weeks ago (St. Patricks day in fact). He had been stopped by the police on campus walking back to his room from a party. He had been carrying a beer in his pocket, which he thought better of and tossed in a garbage can as soon as he saw the police. Evidently the cop heard the toss and went to look in. He found the beer and ticketed Ferris with 'minor in possession of alcohol."

Ferris was livid. The cop really had no proof that the beer was his, and when Ferris questioned the officer about that, he was told to take it up with a judge.
I calmed him as best I could on that late night call. The next day I did a little research and counselled him on my findings. It seemed from my research that the first offense was simply an infraction. Tho he must be wary of a second offense. We talked about the fact that if he went to court he would be asked about the beer directly and how did he want to handle that. He was... understandably, uncomfortable with lying, and we felt an admission of guilt may simply result in further fines.
He took the high road. As he does. Took responsibility for his actions, as a man should.
I was proud of him, and told him so. I also told him that he was also following OUR rules which are not to drink and drive- which is the most important.
I told him he was wise, and that we could put this behind us now.

Yesterday, we received a letter from the DMV - suspending his license for 60 days, with yet another fine to reinstate it.

WHAT?!?

He was no where near a car.
He's a college kid - with ONE beer.
Not a case of beer.
Not a keg of beer.
Not whiskey.
Not drugs.
No where near a CAR!
He was bothering no one, committing no acts of vandalism or violence.
Here is an upstanding kid, with a wonderful GPA, walking to his dorm room on campus - with ONE FREAKIN' BEER.

I am so tired of being the middle class grunt who has to pay for this system to run.
If we were poor - we simply wouldn't pay the ticket. The ramifications lost on our economic status.
If we were rich we would have lawyered up and gotten out it, with no penalty but to the pocket - the deep pocket. No harm, no foul, no lesson learned.

But No... we are good upstanding citizens taking responsibility for our actions - and losing.

What lesson are we teaching our kids? This is not one that I would teach.

This boy doesn't work - he goes to school, and doesn't have the money to cover these fines let alone a lawyer.
We sacrifice to give our children a higher education. And now we are forced to reach into our shallow pockets to support a system that will send my son to war, yet punish him for being a good kid, struggling to get an education, taking responsibility, and having a beer.

16 comments:

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Pissed, as you should be. Maybe he will now change his major to law.

Trop said...

Good god that sucks out loud. So sorry Weese. I give the boy props for being accountable.

Syd said...

That's fucked up! What a bastard cop & judge. I'm proud of Ferris for manning up though. But still...

Zoe said...

I don't understand how they can do that. He didn't get a DUI ticket, so what's the deal?

SassyFemme said...

Rolling my eyes. I thought that law (loss of license for underage drinking) only applied to the kids driving or in cars.

Meaner Dog said...

That is a bunch of crap!!! And, you hit it straight on about being middle class, and the ones who actually pay for a justice system where WE are underserved.

Val said...

It just plain sucks and I, for one, would look into fighting it.
At least find out options.

Anonymous said...

this is so very wrong. Had he a lawyer it would have been a slap on the wrist. very wrong

treppenwitz said...

OK, I had to sleep on this one before I could write a coherent comment.

First of all, you need to find out what the law is where he goes to school. Some areas do allow the suspension of a license for any alcohol-related offense even if the offender was nowhere near a car. The logic goes that if the person was willing to break one law he/she was also willing to get behind the wheel and disregard another.

Which brings us to number two; Even though you aren't rich, you need to get a lawyer and right fast. If you let this ride, this will haunt his insurance premiums for the rest of his life. You need to fight it and win.

Lastly, not that you need my approval, I agree with your policy with Ferris regarding drinking. It sounds like he feels comfortable talking with you guys and therefore is less likely to do the usual binge-drinking that college kids do when they get out from under mom & dad's watchful eye.

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I share your pissyness enough to leave my lurkdom to comment. This is a perfect example of what happens when you have politicians pandering to the 'get tough on criminals' mentality. And it explains why, for the first time in our history, more than one out of every 100 adults in America is in jail or prison. Stupid laws like this one and other 'zero tolerance' laws aren't just tough on criminals, they're incredibly onorous on regular people who make stupid mistakes.

Now since he's already made Larry Craig's mistake and plead guilty I doubt there is much you can do about it now. But speaking as a lawyer, you should never plead guilty without talking to a lawyer about all the potential consequences. And now I am retreating back to lurkdom.

weese said...

thanks for coming out kat.
we thought of contacting a lawyer but thought we were just dealing with a simple infraction.
we feel terrible about it now.

WenWhit said...

What a crock of crap. I'm really sorry for Ferris, and for you.

eb said...

That really, really sucks. Yep, the cop was a bastard. And I fear what Treppenwitz says is true - he'll be paying for it long after he gets his license back.

clammy said...

power hungry cops suck.. I'm sorry for yours and Ferris' troubles.

Landlady of Fat said...

Oh no! Way to reward the kid for being honest.

See why politicians get so far??

Unbelievable.

I'm sorry but that seems illegal to me that the DMV could do that. What if he had no license... what would they suspend then? His feet?

Anonymous said...

What a bunch of BS!

My mom likes to joke that I paved the roads in our town with all the MIP tickets I had in my youth. But not ONCE did I ever get my license suspended, even when I was in or near a car. However, where I grew up you can get DUI on horseback or lawnmower soooo...