Thursday, April 17, 2008

watts that you say

An update on the kill-o-watt research. Sorry no charts or graphs yet, but I am pressed for time to do a proper presentation. Someday I will quit my day job to do full time environmental research. I could start now if y’all wanted to make substantial donations - let me know, I take paypal.

I will tell you this so far...
Where the online calculator told me that our dinosaur-fridge cost us $152 a year to run - my figures show it to be only about $125.
That's still a whole-heck-of-a-lot more than the new model we want, which will bring the annual cost down to a little over 40 bucks. This alone makes me pretty happy with this little device.

During my research I have found one drawback of the meter is its two decimal limitation. When you're being billed at .000000 - more granular data would be helpful

This constraint could taint my findings on cell phone chargers. I had read that the chargers draw power even when there is no cell phone attached. Knowing the limitations of the device I left the charger plugged into the kill-o-watt for three days.
It still reported 0 watts used over all that time. While this still may not be completely accurate – can I consider its draw insignificant? Perhaps I need to leave it plugged in longer and add a projection calculation to my spreadsheet to be sure.

This is where we are so far. Maybe a pie chart next. Or maybe just some pie.

7 comments:

WenWhit said...

I want it all. Conclusions. Graphics. Pie!!

SassyFemme said...

Mmmm, pie. Apple pie, peach pie, banana cream pie, chocolate cream pie, mmmm.

The Guy Who Writes This said...

If your kitchen gets warm during the summer months the cost should rise.

weese said...

ooo right! thanks guy.

eb said...

What...no cocktails?

Anonymous said...

Please be sure to include the standard deviation in your charts, I love a good standard deviation. And pie, I love pie.

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

What a nifty gadget! I'd be very curious about all the unused AC adapters plugged into the wall as well. Hey how about if you plug in one of those outlet expansion thingies, then fill it with AC adapters? Would that make a difference over the course of a week?