Tuesday, April 08, 2008

its one of those...

I needed something fun and easy to do today.
This seemed to fit the bill.
(plus I had this odd feeling Sassy was talking to me).

Couples Meme.
1. How long have you been together?
23 years, or several lifetimes.

2. Who pursued who?
Have you seen my wife?… I totally pursued.

3. Do you wear any type of wedding/commitment ring? If so, which hand?
We each wear a plain band which we picked together a million years ago. We also each have a diamond anniversary band. She surprised me with mine at 10 years, and I surprised her at 15. Both bands are on the ring finger of the left hand.

4. What was the hardest thing about learning to live together?
Hmm, that was a long time ago… I really don’t remember.

5. Who takes longer to get ready in the morning?
I do. I am vain.

6. Do you usually eat breakfast together?
On weekdays we have coffee together (in the summer it will be on the patio). On weekends there may be food involved. Mostly because I am hungry all the time.

7. Do you ever share clothes?
No. Except for the occasional pair of socks. Sometimes I need just the perfect sock.

8. Who does most of the cooking?
My Italian wife does the cooking. She cooks for everyone. It’s possible I would starve to death without her.

9. Who usually takes out the trash?
Who ever gets there first – tho if its winter and dark I take it out to the can outside.

10. If you have pets who usually does litter box or poop patrol?
My animal loving wife handles yard excrement. She is very good at it.

11. Which one of you is more likely to answer the phone when it rings?
We have caller ID – so if it’s TheDaughterTheTherapist my chatty wife will answer and they will gab the evening away. If it’s Ferris, I will answer. He and I are both all business and spend just enough time on the phone to get the facts across. My motherly wife will inevitably ask me when I hang up how he’s doing in school or when he is coming home – my answer is always - I don’t know.

12. Who's in charge of the remote if you're watching TV together?
ME. My highly technical wife has some sort of remote-dyslexia.

13. Who usually drives when you go out together?
Generally I do. For several good reasons. I tend to get car sick as a passenger. Her car (the Jeep) drinks gas faster than I drink a beer. She doesn’t see so well at night, for which she has glasses, which are usually on the hook in the kitchen.

14. Which one of you takes care of spiders and bugs that get into the house?
My spiritual wife requires that we ‘relocate’ any species that has inadvertently gotten into our house. I usually do this relocating.

15. Facing the bed, who sleeps on which side?
Me on the left… my cuddly wife in the middle.

16. Who usually checks the (postal) mailbox?
My organized wife loves to get the mail. She will ask me to fetch it when the temperature dips below 20.

17. If something breaks or goes wrong in the house, which one of you is more likely to either fix it or call someone to fix it?
I fix broken things. But we work on big projects together. If, I completely screw it up as a last resort we need to call someone – I do that, since I am the one who is familiar with the mess I made project.

18. Who is generally the neater of you?
We are both tidy. I tend to clean more –but only because I enjoy the process.

19. Who handles the checkbook/pays the bills?
It's somewhat split. She does the mortgage and all the college stuff because she keeps detailed spreadsheets on our finances. I do utilities and every day stuff. The funny thing is – all our money is in my name (for financial aid reasons) and I have no idea where it is, how much there is and what its intended purposes are.

20. What was your last fight/disagreement about?
We are both in peri-menopause, do you really want to ask this question…
it probably started about a dixie cup in the bathroom and morphed into the choice to use powder or liquid laundry detergent, which will inevitably lead to a lively discussion about why the dog smells so bad and that ‘someone’ really needs to bathe her, which begs the question of what to do about painting the exterior trim this summer, and why is it that garage door opener light has not been updated to fluorescent, and how will we solve global warming and when the hell are you going to do something about world peace and then finally what’s for dinner, lets have a cocktail….

21. When you slow dance together, who leads?
Hmm, is someone supposed to lead. Hmm, we’ll try that next time.

22. What do you love the most about your other half?
She is not any half, we are both whole… which may be what I love most about her.
Ah … but then there are her eyes, her laugh, her smell, her hair, her wit, her softness, her sarcasm, her creativity, her playfulness, her delicious skin, the small of her back, her sexy neck, her silly side, her…

8 comments:

The Guy Who Writes This said...

As Kerouac said, "I'm a wretch, but I love love."

eb said...

I so enjoyed reading this.

SassyFemme said...

Ah, you did hear me. (Wondering if she'll hear me as I channel, "Come rake the yard, come rake the yard.)

I'm honestly very surprised that you two have any disagreements. I would have totally pegged you for the two that have never argued, fought, or raised their voices to each other.

weese said...

one need not raise their voice to argue.
(loading rake and tarp into car)

Suzanne said...

Love is grand, yours especially so.

Unknown said...

I love your answer to the last argument or disagreement question. No argument is never really about what ever it is that triggered it. You crack me up.

Val said...

SF... there is NO such couple who has not had a spirited discussion or 2 or 3 or 1000!

I, too, loved reading this.

Kathryn said...

Very sweet! I look forward to having been with HG for 23 years.