Monday, April 28, 2008

the 'organic' FREE dog

As I have mentioned, we here at the weese's are going organic.
We are making broad changes to many parts of our consumable lives.
My environmentally sound wife has been making smarter choices at the grocery store. We are both learning about using more vegetable based cleaning and personal products. As well as cutting off our addicted yard and garden from all the toxic substances we have been applying over the years. I imagine my grass going through detox, jonesin' for some Scott's.

Personally, I am diligently working on my own addiction -the perfect green lawn.
So far I am reacting calmly and agreeably to dandelions, crabgrass and large patches of dead lawn.
My mantra is 'its all vanity'.
Having the perfect lawn is nothing but my own vanity.

This weekend we all got a taste of the organic (some more than others)...
My organically inclined wife shopped at a farmers market where local organic farmers were selling meats, cheeses and greens.
At home, I weeded dandelions - by hand. And applied organic fertilizer to the lawn.

We got the seal of approval on our lawn products from the FREE dog who we had to keep calling into the house before she licked the ENTIRE lawn.

15 comments:

Maria said...

You know what bothers me the most? Going green is so much more expensive than not. With the probable exception of the yard. But, that takes it's toll on one's back.

I have found that buying from the farmer's market is twice as much as buying from my supermarket and it bugs the hell out of me.

Jesse said...

It bothers me too, especially since I want to gdo the same. We have a great little organic market right across the street from where we live, but it's three times as much to buy produce there. I guess with gas prices being as high as they are, we might break even by being able to walk to the market.

Weese! You and Prunella are awesome role models :) Keep it ups!

maxine said...

I totally see you at the fence line chatting with the neighbors..."Yes, it's sad, but detox is a tough thing for a lawn to go through and we would appreciate you asking your lawn to stop mocking our lawn..."

Syd said...

A dog licking the lawn! HAHAHAHA!!!

Middle Girl said...

No grass. No problem.

SassyFemme said...

Maybe the taste of the grass will keep her in the yard.

Chuckling that your dog likes grass.

Zoe said...

If you can find an organic CSA to join in your area, it's much cheaper than the farmers market.

From the title I almost thought you were switching your dog over to holistic dog food.

Val said...

Chuckling while I picture your dog licking the lawn... only YOUR dog!

Anonymous said...

Did you know that hot water kills weeds? I have been disposing of the weeds in our grass by pouring hot water on them, no chemicals needed.
It works.

weese said...

I have heard about these CSA things.. do you do that zoe?

and I am going to try the hot water method - thanks Tracer!

eb said...

Hot water and vinegar is good for killing lots of stuff. We use it on fire ants although you probably don't have those up there.

You can also go buy yourself a bag of lady bugs. They kill other bugs and they're cute. Plus, it's kinda freaky buying a bag of lady bugs.

Anonymous said...

I tried to get my GF to allow me to bring red wigglers home to compost with. I got the distinct impression I would be part of the compost if I tried it:(

nina michelle said...

Just wanted advocate for the use of ladybugs in your garden. For years I dumped pesticides on my roses trying to rid them of aphids with very little luck. One year I bought two tubs of ladybugs and *POOF* aphid problem gone.

And forgive me if you have already mentioned this. I haven't read through all your green entries.

nina

clammy said...

I love all this organic idea sharing. Thanks. Any ideas on how to attack grubs without using grubex?

Maybe hot water and vinegar will work on all the ants that appeared in our house today.

weese said...

for grubs...use milky spore.
its pricey - but lasts 10-15 years in the soil. its basically a grub disease.
you can also use nematodes which I think you can get from cleanairgardening.com.

thanks Nina... i had heard of the ladybugs... but never heard of a 'real' person using them for aphids on roses. I have been using Orthonex on the roses for years - with great success.
May have to try the lady bugs this time around.