Wednesday, April 09, 2008

weese's wildlife wonderland

I mentioned a couple weeks ago that some birds had made our holiday(would you just take it down) wreath into their home.

Well after that day it seemed the nest had been deserted. I thought perhaps the mother bird thought better of her chosen location. Perhaps because of the constant traffic in and out of the house. Tho the only traffic would be my petite wife and I coming and going from work.
I thought maybe the noises inside the house may have disturbed her. On the inside of the her chosen wall is a kitchen counter and the most used cabinets. I am sure the noise of the cabinet doors banging shut and the chopping of vegetables and such carried right through to the nest.

Admittedly, I was somewhat concerned about the inconvenience and the mess - but when I saw no further signs of her I was actually a little sad.

Well, last night when I came home from work we startled each other as I approached the kitchen door.
So I hurried inside and sat quietly in the foyer for a long time and watched her visit two more times. Quick visits...in and out. Not sure what that means - but that was enough for me...

The entrance has been closed off.


I added some warnings in the house as well- because we are all so programmed to leave out that door.


I also snuck a very quick peak into the nest and saw tiny pinkish eggs.

yay.

9 comments:

sporksforall said...

Yay indeed. You still haven't identified what TYPE of eggs they are. Sparrows perhaps?

SassyFemme said...

Love the sign. One question though, has FREE dog read it to know the door she is being directed to use? Oh and another question, what if she reads it and realizes that pets seem to be separated out from family. How will you explain that to her? Her little doggy heart will be crushed!

(Yes, I obviously need to get back to work.)

eb said...

Hey, don't want to scare ya but if you can move any furniture from below the nest you might want to do that.

You have a momma cat nearby.

weese said...

ok.. i am out to move the stuff from under the nest... then to discover what sort of bird it is...
oh and not to worry about FREE dog.
The only time she uses that door is by accident, and then we don't see her for several hours.

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Good idea to have the sign up. Otherwise it would look like a crime scene.

Deb Heller said...

Oh! How wonderful! You get a ring-side seat, too!

I hope you have better luck than we did with a titmouse pair's nest near our back door. Sadly, one day when we were both at work the resident blue jays found the nest and nature's beastly, predatory side won. We were quite bereft.

Before disaster struck, the little birds never noticed our comings and goings. Didn't pay us any mind at all. I just wish they had been more hidden from predators.

dykewife said...

i showed the pictures to bran and he though it was all very cool :) i hope the birds have much success with their new family

Anonymous said...

I love it! Too few people care about wildlife, especially if it inconveniences them. Good job!

Jen said...

Maybe just a few pictures of the nest?

I would have used a LOT more of that pink caution tape!