Tuesday, April 22, 2008

It’s all too fast.

And frankly it’s getting tiring.

I long to live in a slower time. A time long gone. A time when we spent weeks on holiday, and days with friends, and hours reading, and long casual strolls for no other purpose than to stroll.

I got my bank statement yesterday and had to chuckle. The balance on the paper statement was several days old. So much had happened, my life had already changed. The balance now meaningless, the new balance fresh in my head from looking it up only hours ago… online.
I don’t want to have to know my balance everyday. But I must. Can’t be risking any of that identity theft. That can happen in a flash.
Can’t have that.
It all happens so fast.

I remember as a kid – watching my mom sit down in the evening at her desk to check her statement and balance her books. You could do that then. The balance on the statement most certainly matched the balance in your register. Ah yes – perhaps there was a check written here or there – but that would be neatly noted, and marked as outstanding …until your next statement. Checks were mailed. Then logged, then presented, then cleared… these things took time.

I want that time.

There was a time when we weren’t bombarded with 15 second visual images, a time before a 'snippet' even existed. When you might sit under a tree for an hour. Just to enjoy the tree.
There was waiting. You might need to wait for something or someone, and you would do just that – wait. No gameboy or cell phone, not even a book or magazine. You would just wait.

I want to wait.

Go back further. How about writing letters to communicate. Can you imagine? Waiting weeks to hear back from someone. You write a letter, drop it in the post and wait.
No instant response, no smiley face.

Perhaps you would write to a friend to inquire about a visit.

“Shall I visit in the Spring?” you might write before the winter holidays.

“Yes, yes please do come, I’ll arrange a room for you so you can stay till after solstice.” Your friend would write back, while beginning to go about the business of anticipating your arrival.

And so you would go to visit. You might arrive by carriage, with luggage and such – tho not several ginormous wheely bags filled with a store front full of clothes and a dozen shoes – no … you would have a case or if you were staying till midsummer a perhaps a trunk. You would stay with your friends, and have meals together and take walks and sit by the fire, and of course... have cocktails.

I want to visit.

Today, I am going to take my time. I am going to try to just slow life down, a little bit, as much as is reasonable while still getting through a regular day ...and not getting fired.

I will apologize in advance if you happen to be in the car behind me.

9 comments:

Jesse said...

I'm with you. I think we should all slow it down a bit. I've been feeling like life is whizzing past me at such a fast speed that I can't enjoy it to the fullest. It's so tough to stop and smell the roses when there is so much to do everyday.

Enjoy your day :)

Landlady of Fat said...

Jess' been here already??? Sheesh!

No wonder she's not IMing me! I want my INSTANT MESSAGE! I WANT MY SMILEY!

Oh -- ehem -- slow -- yes, yes, I want life to slow down.

Well, correction, I want MY portions to be slower and I want the rest of it to speed up! :)

Middle Girl said...

From your fingertips to everyone's brain. Particularly where driving is concerned. I especially want those who blare their horns nanoseconds after the light has changed to the vehicle(s) ahead to get that message today, everyday.

Meaner Dog said...

My life is in a vortex!!! I don't think I can get out and still live in mainstream society. There would be a train wreck if I slowed down. From 5:00am on Monday until 6:00pm on Friday it's all just a blur, week after week. I wish God would push the "STOP" button.

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

It's this breakneck pace that has most Americans working a minimum of 40 hours a week while the rest of the world enjoys more off time. Damn capitalistic work ethic.

SassyFemme said...

I hear you. There is simply not enough time to get everything done and see everyone we want to see, and have time to just sit and chill.

Perhaps it's time for a day of group slow down on our deck? Yes, that's the opening of an invitation!

Jen said...

I am with you. We make a point to sit down have a have an evening meal together to slow the pace and savor the food and time together.

Anonymous said...

I miss having time to meet a friend for coffee, and not having to take it to go.
I don't miss having to stay within earshot of the phone for hours waiting for that special someone to call. I love my cell phone!

clammy said...

it all just makes me want to say ahhhhhhhhhhh :)