Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Mind the sign

For various reasons over the past 20 some odd years I have had the occasion to drive a particular back road almost every day. Currently, this road takes me from my home in one town to my work in a neighboring town. So I am on it every week day. It's also the road we take when visiting my in-laws. So I am on it many weekend days as well.

Needless to say I am very familiar with this road. I have come to know some of the people living along the road - tho they most likely would not know me. I have seen their children grow up, I know when they get new cars, I know the ederly woman in the white tudor house needs more help these days, as I see her with visitors almost every day - where there used to be few.

This morning I noticed the deaf child sign.

Tho the sign is not new.

It's been there all of these years. I suppose it had just become part of the scenery.
I remember when Ferris was just learning to read and we drove by that very sign on the way over to his grandparents house. He read it to me and we discussed its merrit, and even it's lack thereof.

This morning I wondered -- where is this kid now?
Certainly he must be grown. But his sign remains. I wonder... does he even know its still there? Does he pass it every day like I do. Perhaps on his way to visit his parents.
Maybe a new family with a deaf child saw the sign and decided to move to the area, appreciating its convenience.

And so I will continue to drive this road... with renewed intent to heed the sign, because you just never really know.

4 comments:

Val said...

It's funny what thoughts cross one's mind when traveling the same route every day for a long period of time.

But what are the chances that real estate is purchased based on a convenient sign???!!!
You crack me up! ;)

Meaner Dog said...

Now isn't that thought provoking!!

dykewife said...

is there a school or daycare or something like that which caters to deaf children? it seems odd that they would put up a sign for a single deaf child.

Anonymous said...

Actually DW, those signs are common in this here parts...deaf child, blind child, handicapped child.....all you have to do is put a request into the town.